- Obtain up-to-date underground cable record plans.
- Be aware that underground cables can be found at any depth, even just below the surface.
- Ensure a competent person uses a Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT)
- Mark the location of cables on the ground surface and dig trial holes to determine the exact position before using a mechanical excavator.
- If you find an underground cable embedded in concrete do not attempt to break it out. Contact us for specific advice.
- If you damage an underground cable, vacate the excavation immediately, call 105 and keep everyone clear.
This advice is applicable to all #uk electricity distribution network operators, read the full release here